Battles Sulphur Candle 225g PACK OF 2 - Kill Greenhouse Pests and Spores

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Battles Sulphur Candle 225g PACK OF 2 - Kill Greenhouse Pests and Spores

Battles Sulphur Candle 225g PACK OF 2 - Kill Greenhouse Pests and Spores

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

I might have to use Jeyes fluid this year as I can't get any Armillatox (well at least I can't get it from my usual wholesaler) The retailers of garlic candles seem a bit reticent to explain how their product works, so I can only assume they use the fact that garlic itself is quite sulphur rich, so they probably work in a similar way to sulphur candles.

That's really what I was trying to find out. I have three greenhouse books of various vintages and I have searched the RHS but the only place that sulphur smoking seems to be advised is on the sulphur candle tin! I guess the idea is gas will penetrate all the nooks and crannies better than a liquid will. I'm interested in any answers too as when I went to get the Jeyes in the GC the shelves were full of organic natural disinfectants which I bought. Wear a respirator and lab safety goggles when working with flowers of sulfur and when lighting the candle. In the past I have filled a pump spray with either Bleach / Armillatox / or Jeyes fluid and spray the greenhouse inside and out and leave it a few days until the smell disappears and it seems to clear everything away ( At least I never see anything afterwards but that's not to say I have killed everything.) But now its getting very difficult to source sulphur candles as they are now banned for use on plants as a pesticide although interestingly they still can be used as a greenhouse cleaner which is what I use them for. However companies that make them have decided not to bother with re-registering them due to the extra cost and have ceased manufactureOpen the windows and doors after the candle extinguishes, and let the greenhouse air out for 24 hours. A.J. Andrews' work has appeared in Food and Wine, Fricote and "BBC Good Food." He lives in Europe where he bakes with wild yeast, milks goats for cheese and prepares for the Court of Master Sommeliers level II exam. Andrews received formal training at Le Cordon Bleu. The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego. I have a brand new greenhouse that only went up in November should I do anything e.g. Sulphur Candles etc before I start using it?

Seriously, it does sound a lot of fiddly (and dangerous?) work just to avoid paying a bit more than a proper sulphur candle which always works at the first lighting and without having to be messed about. I also have a Poly tunnel - I haven't had any issues with it from a bug point of view and I am wondering should I use Sulphur Candles in it?The alternatives seem to be all permethrin based which would kill all crawling/flying insects in the greenhouse but not eggs or fungi - at least as far as I know. Since there isn't much flying or crawling around in it in February/early March it would seem to be a bit pointless. I filled the sprayer and covered the inside getting into all the little nooks and crannys then left it shut up for two days.

Set up your double boiler -- one stainless-steel saucepan nestled inside the other -- and place it on the stove. Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries! I'm little confused as to how safe it is to use a Sulphur Candle. I have frogs, newts etc. in my polytunnel and I don't want to deliberately kill them. Especially as the frogs will eat slugs etc. If you had something like botrytis affecting a well-used one I suppose it would provide a bit more peace of mind. Although beeswax sulfur candles are better for the environment than pesticide foggers, they're just as harmful to your lungs and mucous membranes, so gloves, goggles and respirators are mandatory.Avoid breathing the fumes from a burning sulphur candle as the Sulphur Dioxide (SO2) that is given off will irritate your nose and throat, irritation will also occur on the moist surface of the eye. I certainly cant do this at the moment , since although Cornwall is not as cold as other parts of the country ,it is still too cold to take out all my plants and stand them outside while I clean it . Every year I spray a product called Algon on the glass and in a few days the green algae disappears. Next comes the hand wash with soapy water. We then jet wash the green house inside and out. It's interesting during jet washing seeing all the spiders that are dislodged. Unfortunately I can't bear the smell of jeyes fluid so cannot use it. I then use a sulpher candle. I do have another type of candle that smells very strongly of garlic. This garlic one you can use with plants insitu. But it stinks !! You have to light it and run. I have often bought a Sulphur Candle but they seem expensive. Mind you the price for the commonest one, 300g Deadfast, seems to vary from 3.99 at selections.com to 7.95 at TwoWests. Do you know of a cheap supplier? Alternatively can you still buy Flowers of Sulphur (where from?) and burn that somehow? I have found a diy blend of beeswax and Sulphur to make your own. Are there other smokes that are equally effective and economical?



  • Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop